Engl Artist Edition 50W E653 + E412AE Cabinet
After reviewing the amazing ENGL E651 ARTIST EDITION, 100 Watt tube head evolution of the most famous E650 “Ritchie Blackmore” we are go to review the 50 Watt version: ENGL E653 ARTIST EDITION. Basically the difference between the two versions (100/50) is the power section and the beautiful, vintage style, grey grill on the front panel that perfectly matches with the silver metal finish and the matching cabinet.
ARTIST EDITION E653 SPECS
- 50 watts, tube head (2 x EL34 poweramp tubes & 4 x ECC 83 preamp tubes)
- Controls for Clean, Lead, Bass, Middle, Treble, Presence, Volume
- Bright Switch
- Shape Switch
- Gain Switch
- Channel Switch
- Master control
- Power on LED and Power Tube Monitor
- Stand By switch
- Power switch
- Noise Gate (Threshold control, remote controllable via footswitch)
- FX loop (parallel to serial adjustable, remote controllable via footswitch)
- Speaker Outs (1 x 4, 1 x 8, 2 x 8, 1 x 16, 2 x 16 Ohms)
- Preamp: 4 x ECC83 / 12AX7 selected tubes
- Poweramp: 2 EL34 matched tubes
- Dimensions & Weight: 71 x 27 x 27 cm, 19,4 kg
HOW IT SOUNDS The engineering of the head is almost the same of her “big brother”, 2 channels switchable to 4 considering the different gain settings. Even if the the wattage is lower we can appreciate the very clean channel, really dynamic and sparkling sounding, not really usual for this kind of Engl amp: great job! Going on testing the clean channel, but this time in Hi Gain mode, the tone is crispy and pleasantly overdriven when the gain knob is cranked up. Talking about the lead channel we start testing it on the Low Gain mode, really expressive, thight and great for metal increasing the gain, with a natural boost on mids that results great for soloing. Engaging the Hi Gain switch on the lead channel we have the most classic Engl tone, tons of gain and definition, this time warmed up by the EL-34 in the final stage. Particular mention for the embedded Noise Gate, always really useful. After this quick analysis of the head we concentrate on the matching cabinet, actually a big part of the whole analyzed tone.
ENGL PRO ARTIST EDITION 4X12 NEO CREAMBACK E412A SPECS:
- Speaker: 4 x Celestion© Neo Creamback
- 240 watts mono, 2 x 120 watts stereo
- Impedance: 8 Ohm mono, 2 x 16 Ohm stereo
- Wood: Siberian Birch, 14 times folded
- Dimensions & Weight: 74 x 75 x 36 cm, 35kg
The real news about this cabinet are the beautiful grey front grille and, most important, the 4 Celestion Neo Creamback loaded in, essentially a Creamback with a new Neodymium magnet that recreates the same warm, mid rangy, refined highs of the glorious Celestion G12M-65 Creamback but with half of the weight. The cabinet can be used in mono/stereo setting and just plugged the guitar we can notice the extreme similarity with the “Ceramic” Creamback. In our opinion, the quality of the cabinet construction and the speakers give a most smooth tone then other Engl cabs loaded with Celestion V30.
CONCLUSIONS The low wattage and the EL34 tubes make the tone of the ENGL E653 greatly punchy giving warmth to the whole sound. The great quality of the cab does the rest. Go check our videos to know this incredible “combo”!
Thanks to Mogar Music, exclusive Italian Engl dealer.